Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fix this, Mom...

Well, we had our first disc casualty. It was bound to happen, at the rate of speed my 2 1/2 year-old switches them out. I should have been prepared. After all, the loss of a favorite movie can have a profound impact on such a young child.

Irelynn popped in "Shrek 2" and happily bounded over to me. She climbed into my lap and prepared for it to start up. The screen read "no disc." Uh oh.

"Um, Irelynn, I don't think it's working."

"No, Mom...it's just loading."

"Sweetie, it's saying 'no disc.' Let's open it up and see what's wrong."

"Okay." She jumps down and runs over to open the DVD player. She hands me the disc and I notice a long crack running down it.

"Oh...it's broken..."

"Clean it, Mom," she states with confidence; knowing the reason some discs have not played in the past.

"No, Honey...it's broken, not dirty. There is a crack in it."

"Oh. Fix it, Mom."

"I can't fix it."

"I get you a screwdriver?"

I see the hope and determination in her eyes. I explain to her that "Shrek 2" is no longer with us. It will live on forever in our hearts. She took it better than I thought. She nodded in understanding...and promptly put in "Blue Guy" instead.

I guess at least discs are easily replaced.

1 comment: