Friday, March 20, 2009

Night Out

It has been a long time since I have ventured out, by myself, to go anyplace other than the grocery store. I scrambled around to get ready. I alternated putting on make-up with consoling babies. Putting on my dress shoes with getting bottles ready. Gathering rough cut DVDs of a movie I've been working on with asking questions about how the school day went (and answering questions, in return, as to why I was wearing real clothes.) Connor was grabbing at my hair, which is usually pulled back, out of his reach. I dodged pinching fingers, narrowly missing having the earings yanked from my ears. I finally ducked out of the door, feeling sorry for my mother, who graciously offered to watch all of the children so I could head out with my friend, the director of the movie I'm helping with, to Detroit, for a Film Industry Symposium.

My purse felt oddly light compared to the diaper bag I usually carry. I was careful to remove the baby wipes, extra diapers, and random pacifiers and crayons, replacing them with lipstick, gum, and business cards. I almost felt...human.

We drove to Detroit, talking about movie projects, kids, and life, in general. Then my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Who gets what pill? Where are the pills?"

"Owen gets the Singulair, and Connor gets the Pevacid."

"Wait...Singulair...where is that?"

"Should be by the sink, near the pill cutter."

"What color are the pills?"

"Owen's are brown..."

"So, Connor gets this white pill?"

"No! No, no...that's half of an allergy pill that I cut for Marissa...do not give it to the babies!"

"Oh...well...what color is Connor's?"

"Pink."

"And how much do they get again?"

"Owen gets half a pill, Connor gets a quarter of a pill."

"Ok. I think I've got it."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes....oh...shit..."

"What happened??"

"I tried to crush it and half of it went across the counter..."

I hear Irelynn whining in the background.

"Is everything ok?"

"Yeah...I have to go...it'll be fine..."

We almost get to Detroit...I am trying to read the directions that my friend printed out off of Mapquest. My phone rings again.

"Hello?"

"Do you know where the camera is?"

"I think, actually...I have it. It's in my purse."

"Oh. Ok. That's all...I'll just have to use my Blackberry."

"Why?"

"Connor fell asleep in the high chair."

I have to tell him that I need to get going before we get lost in Detroit.

The rest of the evening, all I can think about is how I missed a precious moment...and wonder, briefly, whether my baby was knocked out in his high chair because my husband did, indeed, accidentally give him the adult allergy pill.

After watching a panel of people tell us how Detroit is going to make a mark in the film industry, and how much opportunity there will be here, there was a short networking period where couldn't help thinking of my poor husband who was left alone with all the kids.

I got home late. The babies were still up. Connor grinned up at me and latched onto my hair. My husband looked exhausted. He didn't seem to notice that I was wearing make-up...or real clothes. I suddenly felt much less impressive.

Perhaps in a few more years I will be able to go someplace without worrying about the kids. Of course, by that time, my oldest will be driving.

((sigh))

So...I guess now really is the best time...before the twins...or the preteens....get mobile. I'd better let my husband get some more practice watching the kids...I have a very narrow window here...

No comments:

Post a Comment