Sunday, March 8, 2009

Kids say the darndest things...

There is usually some fairly lively banter that takes place at the dinner table. Most of it consists of arguments between the older two, Irelynn telling us stories about what her and her friend did...or will do, and the constant reminders by my husband and I to the children to actually eat their dinner. Once in awhile, though, there are some pretty entertaining comments.

I don't remember what prompted this comment, as I was too busy focusing on the fact that Connor somehow got carrots on top of his head...even though I was feeding him...but the next thing I hear is my preteen daughter confidently saying,

"I speak French. Hola."

Bruce and I glance at each other, and Jay starts snickering. Bruce clears his throat.

"You were just joking, right? I mean...you know that that's not French, right?"

She rolls her eyes.

"Yes, I'm joking. Of course I know 'hola' isn't French. It's Hawaiian."

Sometimes my children are very lucky that they are entertaining. There has been a time or two I wondered how much I could get for them if I were to auction them off on E-Bay. Such as earlier today, when my almost 3-year-old was determined to get on the Wii.

She was overly tired, whiney, and demanding.

"Mooooom...I wanna play Rock Band!!!"

"Not right now."

"Mooom...HEY MOM! I WANNA PLAY ROCK BAND JUST A LITTLE BIT!!!!"

"Irelynn, not right now!"

"Mom mom mom....I wanna play Rock Band...anum eee um anum....ROCK BAND NOW!!!!"

"IRELYNN...I SAID NO!!!"

She looks at me funny, and says, "What's wrong with you?"

I stare at her, dumbfounded...

"You angry or sumthin'?" She stares at me, curious.

I am at a loss for words for a moment.

"Um...well...you are being very whiney and disrespectful."

"Oh. Sorry. Can I please play Rock Band...just a little bit?" She smiles at me sweetly.

I did let her play Rock Band. That, in itself, was quite entertaining. I am probably one of the few proud parents of a toddler who knows the words to a Weezer song.

No comments:

Post a Comment