Wednesday, March 17, 2010

When Irish Eyes are Smiling

I love that the Imagination Movers are dressed in kilts and singing Irish songs today.  It reminds me, one, that it is St. Patrick's Day, and two, some men should not wear a skirt.  I miss being a child on this day.  My mother would sing every Irish song she knew, and...if we were lucky...do a little jig.  We were reminded that we were, in fact, royalty, as those with the spelling -mack in McCormack were supposedly decendents of a king.  I look now at my 3-year-old, dressed in a white frilly dress and plastic crown, and smile.  Perhaps she truly is an Irish princess.  I'm thinking I should refrain from telling her, though, as she already has it in her head that she is a princess.

I am ashamed to admit that I have nothing planned for today.  No green cookies.  No green drinks.  Not even a single shamrock displayed anywhere.  The older kids wore green shirts out of fear of being pinched at school, and hinted at wondering what I may have planned for when they return home from school.  I don't know what happened this year.  I always wanted to make this day as fun for my children as it was for me growing up.  I wanted them to be proud of their Irish heritage.  Last year Irelynn walked in the St. Patrick's Day parade.  This year we didn't even go to it. 

I need to put aside my recent bouts of bad luck and get into the spirit, though.  I shall pop in my old Irish CD (although I might have to start with a little Flogging Molly to get it out of my system...we'll work up to the cheery stuff)...and break out some sugar cookie ingredients...and green sprinkles. 

I think I might just have to invite Grandma over, too...because it would not be St. Patrick's Day without some traditional singing and dancing from the Queen of this Irish family herself. 

I wonder if I have some green food coloring and beer...that might help, too....

No comments:

Post a Comment