Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Why I haven't been posting...

I have been fairly scarce over the last bit of time, mainly due to the fact that my husband was out of town and I was dealing with the excitement of being a single parent to three children under the age of four (thanks to my mother and father-in-law taking on the preteens, it was only three kids and not five.) I don't remember the time clearly...I think I've blocked most of it out. I do remember a toddler kicking me because she wanted to watch "The Backyardigans." I faintly remember the screaming...not getting much sleep...and consuming mass quantities of coffee.

Upon his return, he told me that I could go out for a little while...by myself, and do something I enjoy. What sounds good? Something by myself...relaxing...not associated with kids....I decided I'd go tanning. I had not been tanning in years. It was back when I was in shape...and actually cared about how I looked.

Tanning this time was not exactly the same experience. I have alot more...surface...to tan. But, the feeling was the same. Nice, warm, quiet. When I was done (it only lasted 10-minutes,) I checked myself in the mirror. I didn't look pink...not bad.

My lower back was still in pain, so on the way home I stopped and bought an Icy/Hot back patch to put on that night. I felt good as I laid down to sleep...my back, as it turned out, was slightly pink, but not too bad. I had applied the back patch to my lower back, and drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, I awoke feeling slightly uncomfortable. I looked in the mirror...I didn't notice anything until I turned around. My back was bright red. Not that, "oh, it looks like you got a little sun," red...but the ((gasp!)) "WHAT did you do to your BACK??!!" red. I started to remove the back patch. Ow. Ow. I pulled a little more...OW. I took a deep breath, and decided to do it quick...like a Band-Aid.

"HOLY HELL!!!!"

I dropped to my knees, certain that I had just taken a layer of skin off of my back.

I was red for the next three days.

But...you know what? It was still worth having that time to myself. The color on my back has faded from chili pepper red, to flamingo pink, to, finally, a golden tan.

After dealing with two sick babies, and arguing teenagers today...I think it might be time to go again...

No comments:

Post a Comment