Sunday, January 19, 2014

A Child's Perspective

I haven't updated my blog in awhile, and as I thought about different things I could write about, I realized that maybe a conversation my youngest children had the other day would be worth sharin. I wrote the following as a Facebook status, and received a lot of positive response:

The three younger ones were having a discussion this morning about Martin Luther King Jr. It was so cute and sad to hear history from a child's perspective.

Owen: "People with black skin even had to use different drinking fountains. And go to different schools. But it's okay, that's not a true story."

Me: "Owen, it IS a true story. Things really were like that at one time."

Connor: "That doesn't make any sense."

Me: "No, it doesn't."

They went on to talk about how Martin Luther King Jr. helped to change that...and how they can't even imagine having some of their friends go to a different school because of the color of their skin. They listed several names of friends who they never would have had the chance to meet. The whole conversation puts things into perspective...whether you are talking about race, sexual orientation, or beliefs...in a child's eyes, we are all human, and discrimination "doesn't make any sense." People aren't born with hate...we learn it. I wish everyone could see the world that way.

1 comment: